Question
Posted by: jan swanepoel | 2009/10/13

good for you/bad for you verdicts on the same food eg OATS

Hi, me again, Swanepoel, from awhile ago. Sorry that my question is longer than it shld be but I wanted to Copy what you see here. But I refer only to one or two items. I have come across this lady de los Rios. on the Internet In one of her ' letters'  she advises that to lose weight one shld inter alia cut out ALL wheat,& grains. In this list of ' bad'  foods she also includes these (1 5 6!! ...and in particular for me nr 7!!! ) Why ? Because I thrive on Jungle Oats on a daily basis. Now : others approve many of these things which are bad for her. With OATS as an example, please comment. I have read only good reports on oats ( ia. cholestrol )Thanks and apologies for the lengthy question. Kind regards. Jan Swanepoel

1. Whole Wheat bread - all contain enriched flour and some contain high fructose corn syrup
2. Low Fat and/or Low Sugar Salad Dressings - canola oil, sugar (or some use artificial sweeteners instead...which is worse!)
3. Sports Drinks - high fructose corn syrup, not to mention all the nasty dyes that are used to make it all sorts of fluorescent colors
4. Dry Roasted Almonds - canola oil and some add sugar
5. Almost all Protein and Energy Bars - soy and sugar
6. Almost all High Protein and High Fiber cereals - soy and canola oil
7. Low Sugar Instant Oatmeal - sugar, soy, and artificial sweeteners
8. Diet and Weight Loss Shakes (and other diet shakes) - canola oil and sugar
9. 100 Calorie Snack Packs - enriched flour and artificial sweeteners
10. Flavored Yogurt - sugar or artificial sweeteners

Dear Jan
My opinion is that the de los Rios lady is not an expert on nutrition but that you find her convincing, so what can I say to persuade you that this is all a lot of nonsense? Let's take just one of her statements: Your No 7: She is talking about an American product! which does not apply in SA. And her mania about wheat. Human beings are omnivores and your digestive tract has been adapted over millions of years to eat all the macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein and fats). It is interesting to note that well preserved bodies of people who died more than 7000 years ago have been found in the ice of glaciers and when their stomach contents were analysed the researchers found that these people had been eating wheat and all the other components of a balanced modern diet.
You are the arbiter of your life, so if you like what Isabel says, then stick to her advice, but don't believe everything she says!

4
Posted by: jan swanepoel | 2009/10/14

Dear DietDoc
Thanx for your reply. And for the incisive advice. In fact, I wrote for the very reason that II do not believe what she says, and I most definitely do not find her convincing at all.! But you have given me the evidence I wanted to have. I couldn' tt substantiate what I thought, now I can. And I have not been following her suggested regimes at all. Again, that is why I wrote, and I have received my answers. So many Thanks.

Reply to jan swanepoel
Posted by: almost mad | 2009/10/14

I also saw this the other day and found it to be strange. The body needs certain good fats and carbs...

Reply to almost mad
Posted by: Johan | 2009/10/14

Jan,
I was told OATs is very good for your colon!

Reply to Johan

Dear Jan