Question
Posted by: Wil | 2008/06/28

Good food for drug detox

We run a safe house for people in recovery from drugs and alcohol. I would like to know is there any food type that I can give them to build them up their immune systems quicker. Some of them use a lot of medication for depression and sleep.

Dear Wil
The healthiest foods for people who are trying to detox are: fresh fruit and vegetables (up 8 servings a day), whole grain and cereals (unsifted maize meal, wholewheat bread, Maltabella, brown rice 6 servings a day), low-fat milk and yoghurt (3 cups a day), plus lean meat or fish or legumes (dry, cooked or canned peas, beans, lentils or soya). Fatty foods should be avoided as the patients' livers won't be able to handle the fat. For very debilitated patients or those who have severe vitamin deficiencies as a result of drug and alcohol abuse, it may also be a good idea to give them a vitamin and mineral supplement like Centrum or Supradyn Forte. Vitamins and minerals work best when given in combination (for example B complex instead of just one of the B vitamins). The patients should also ensure that they drink at least 3 litres of liquid a day (water, diluted fruit juice or diluted energy drinks - this boosts the liver, or tea, rooibos or other herbal teas).
Wishing you all the best in your worthwhile endeavour.

2
Posted by: Jules | 2008/07/03

Hi I have been taking Thinz for the last 12 years and havent had any for the last 22 days iam really finding it very hard, I cant take time of work to go into a rehab for 3 to 6 weeks and i have 2 children. So iam trying to do this by my self can you give me any advice on what will help, Iam taking Supradyn 1 a day and StaminoGro 2 in the morning and 2 at night. Iam not sleeping at all and Iam treably tired all the time, the chemist also gave me 5-HTP to help me sleep, its not helping?

Jules

Reply to Jules
Posted by: Wil | 2008/06/28

Thanks for your quick response. We appreciate your help.
Rei's place house of Recovery PE

Reply to Wil