Question
Posted by: Janice | 2010/02/06

Good food before a workout

Dear Dietdoc

I have insulin resistance and am around 12 kgs overweight. I' ve started a new fitness regime for the first times in years and really struggle with energy on some days. I have read that I need to eat a low GI meal before I gym but I really struggle to eat before I workout. Can you suggest good options for snacks that can help this problem?

Janice

Dear Janice
Because of your insulin resistance (IR) you may not be able to use the usual high-GI carbs that people without IR can use before, during and after exercise to provide fuel and to support recovery. Typical low-GI foods that can be used are low-fat yoghurt or low-fat flavoured milk, Provitas or a slice of low-GI bread with fat-free cottage cheese, deciduous fruit (apples, pears, plums) or citrus fruit, or corn on the cob (boiled mielie), or pasta made from Durum wheat with a vegetable/tomato sauce. You can use a small amount of high-GI energy drink during exercise to keep you going (1/2 glass of Energade or Powerade). Just make sure that you have some more of the low-GI foods at the meal following your exercise. I trust that you have consulted a clinical dietitian for the correct diet? It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Keep up the good work with the exercise.

1

Dear Janice