Question
Posted by: Chris | 2008/07/24

Good calories

Good morning Vanessa,

I hope that all is good and well your side....

Vanessa, I spoke to you a while back regarding fixing up my diet a bit. I' ve increased the meals and calories (to my understanding). I am now lifting much heavier and my measurements have also increased (not fat, as my arms are still very lean). My question is what would you suggest I consume regarding calories. I know the saying if your abs are showing, you aint growing, but i also dont want to get too much fat. That being said, i' m following a diet almost exactly like the one you advised Kris to eat and it shows, so thank you..:)
What I was thinking (please correct me and my logic) is that i should eat like this (calorie surplus) for about 2 months and be calorie deficient for 1 month. Reason being is to try stay as lean as possible whilst increasing in lean muscle size. If this is not the right path, then what would you suggest i do?

Once again, thank you so much for your time.

Regards, Chris...

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Chris

I am really pleased that you have done so well – and all the credit to you, because it’s in the doing!! Great discipline!!

I think you should stay on the calorie surplus until you reach your goal weight. Then fall back to your maintenance level and trick the body from time to time by zig zaging your calories – e.g. start on a Monday with an extra 200 calories than base point and drop an extra 200 calories per day until you end up at a 1000 calories below your base level by the end of the week (7 days). Alternatively increase your cardio training every now and again – push yourself to the limit say every second day – this really burns calories fast! When you train interval training your intervals must be so excessive that you gasp for air – that is the best way to do it. Keep on repeating this process until you reach your goal and then the trick is to become mindful of how much energy (calories) your body needs to maintain. By then is should be rather easy as the deviances will be small and you will know what you body likes and not.

Good luck and take care. Keep in contact.
Vanessa