Question
Posted by: Curious | 2008/10/21

GONAL F COMPARED TO MENOPUR

I wanted to find out if the drugs that are used for ivf, does it make a huge diff?? I was on Gonal F, Luveris, Lucrin and Pregnyl?? Is the Menopur a better option?? I only produced 7 eggs. How do some women produce 17 eggs etc?? What better combination of IVF drugs do you suggest??

Dear Curious

The use of highly purified versus recombinant stimulation drugs depends on indivudal circumstances including the patient’s age, previous responses to IVF treatment, baseline hormone evaluation of ovarian reserve, ovarian antral follicle count and the level of active and volume of the ovaries. In addition the presence and absence of polycystic ovarian syndrome will also influence the choice of IVF stimulatory drugs. Therefore it is not a question of which drug is superior but rather which drug is the more appropriate in a particular treatment program.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim