Posted by: LIYA | 2008-12-22

golf-stick legs

hi a 22yr old female in need of some serious advice.iv always been skinny,an no im not complaining-but one of the lesser joys of being skinny is that i' ve literally got sticks for legs!i used to be ridiculed for having such thin legs as a child an still get mocked at times as a young woman.i dont own shorts or mini' s cos people would simply laugh at me for wearing them.i would love to have nice legs.please help fine with my thighs,they' r not bad just need to be toned but from the knee down-im nonexistent!thanks!

Hi Liya

Difficult one. It's going to take some very specific training, and that's hard because I don't know what you have access to.

My advice is to get onto some kind of training programme, preferably gym based, because then you can mix the weight training with the cardio. You'll need the mix of both. The cardio would be done 3, maybe 4 times a week, and includes things like cycling, stepping, or jogging. They'll help you to get toned and build some muscle.

Then, to this, you have to add a bit of weight training. Hamstring curls, lunges, squats, leg press, calf raises. You can do all of these at home as well, using body weight, but if you want to accelerate the effect, it can help to have access to weights. My advice is to try to do 3 sets of about 10 repetitions (or lifts) each set. Use a weight that is heavy, but that allows you to do all 10 repetitions without getting completely exhausted. You should finish the 10th rep of the 3rd set feeling like you're just starting to struggle.

I hope that helps.