Question
Posted by: penny | 2008/09/02

golden retriever poo like egg white

Hi. Please can you help. I adopted a golden retriever bitch about a 1 1/2 years ago. I feed her Pedigree dog food which I soften with some hot water. I offer her a variety of can food meat (different manufacturers e.g. p n p, husky, boss, etc, about 2 or 3 times a week. She has been dewormed about 2 months ago. When she has a poo, quite a bit of it is a jelly like substance like egg white. It is see though. The poo is coated with it and it smells terrible. Her breath also smells. The poo is also a caramel colour. I took her to the vet and she said that she has a sensitive stomach and to take her off meat. I did, but it hasnt cleared the problem. I returned to the vet and she suggested i put her on special vet food. I do not have the funds for this special food yet. I have started giving her Interflora and iron tablets with her food. She also gets bob martins about once a week. What else can I do. She seems to be in pain. I love her very much. My other maltese dog does not seem to have this or any other problem.

Dear Penny

Just put your dog on a good food, ULTRADOG or Vets choice and some protexin (vets/vetshops). If on this no need for bob martins and iron tabs. The slyme is due to a slow passage of food through the colon and not digesting the food very well.

2
Posted by: Penny | 2008/09/22

Hi. Just as a follow up. I changed my dogs food, put her on protexin. It has helped a little bit, but she still passes the egg white poo. Every now and then she is very nauseous and brings up yellow bile. She is not active and seems to sleep a lot. Her breath also smells. I have checked her teeth - all are fine. Is there anything else you can recommend.

Reply to Penny
Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/02

Another tip: don' t soak her food using hot water - it tends to melt the fat in the food and turn it into a greasy mess - cold water works fine, just give it a little longer. Of course, it' s not necessary to soak it at all, but I must say my old dog also prefers it.

Reply to Chill