Question
Posted by: Nic''s | 2010/07/28

Golden Retriever - digging holes

I have a 6 month old Golden Retriever. How can I stop her from digging holes in the lawn? I have tried all the repellents and even red pepper but she just goes and digs somewhere else. She has plenty of toys to play with and we play with her everyday and take her for walks. Any advice welcome. Thanks Nic''s

Hi Nic's

The best way to deal with this issue is through dog training and
making a designated area in the garden where the pup can dig to it's heart's content. This area can be fenced off from the rest of the garden. You can bury treats in this area to entice the pup to dig in this area.

I check the web for further info and came across this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-a-Dog-from-Digging

I hope this helps

2
Posted by: Red | 2010/07/29

We have 2 golden retrievers and, while they are now 10 years old and have stopped this, when they were young they dug all over the garden! Maybe it''s a breed thing. HOwever, what we did notice is that if we kept them " tired"  (ie good walks every day) it seemed to help. Also, what we did is if we ever worked in the garden we made sure they couldn''t see us - it seemed to be that if they saw us digging, they wanted to as well, Then, wherever we had freshly dug soil, we put chicken wire over it: they don''t like the feeling on their paws and then didn''t dig there. It seemed to help. Also dog training helped us quite a bit.
Take heart: they do grow out of it!

Reply to Red
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/07/28

Hi Nic's

I hope this helps

Reply to CyberVet