Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2010/04/13

Goiter

Dear Dr. Bets, I paid R850 for an endo and I feel so ripped off. He says eventhough I have a goiter (that is growing) " There is no specific treatment to shrink the goiter besides for surgery or radioactive iodine(wouldn''t use these)" . He feels my hormone levels are fine and thus just wants to leave the goiter in the (whether growing or not). Is this right?

Hallo Desperate
It is not money wasted as one should always scan for possible cancerous nodules. He does not have to treat you, medically, if the hormone levels are fine as often the goiter becomes smaller again by itself. If he operates,or gives radioactive tx, you will have to use medication for the rest of your life, so he is probably cautious. BUT if it grows or does not go down by itself in 3-6 months, he should re-evaluate the treatment options

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/04/13

Hallo Desperate

Reply to cyberdoc