Question
Posted by: Charlie | 2010-03-29

Goiter

Hi Dr.Bets,
I went for scans and have been diagnosed with a moderately enlarged multi nodular goiter and according to the endo, my hormone levels are normal even if the T3 is elevated - I''m 24.
He hasn''t prescribed any mediaction/treatment at all and says we don''t have to remove it either. Is this right?
It bothers me quite a bit - I can feel and see it, some people say they can see it, I feel uncomfortable in my neck area and I can feel the pressure sometimes. I just don''t like that fact that NOTHING is being done about it at all - or is this standard procedure?

Hallo Charlie
I don't think he plans to do nothing at all, but if your thyroid function is normal, there is a chance that the goiter will go down by itself without treatment and he would probably just need to follow up for a few months. If he operates, you will have to use medication for the rest of your life. It can be caused by not getting in enough iodene (rare these days but check that you buy iodized salt) or due to an auto immune inflammation of the thyroid. I think you should keep an eye on it, if it gets bigger or you develop symptoms of over or underactive thyroid, you should go back for a follow up examination and bloodtests

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-03-29

Hallo Charlie

Reply to cyberdoc