Posted by: Heids | 2008-10-29

Going off anti-depressants?

Hi Doc,

I am chronically depressed and have been on Cypralex for 6 months now - I was prescribed two tablets a day (double dose). Recently my situation got worse and I can' t afford the medication any more. I have been off the medication for two months now and am feeling quite desperate, but can' t afford to buy it. Is there something else that I can take in the interim until I can afford it or get onto another medical aid? My boyfriend is also extremely depressed because of the situation and refuses to see anyone or take anything. I don' t think the situation is likely to get any better, but I am unsure what I can do. Please help ...

I don't think Cipralex, a particularly expensive drug, has major advantages over other much more affordable antidepressants, and its irresponsible of doctors to prescribe such expensive meds without being sure you will be able to afford them for a year. There aere many alternatives, such as Cilift, a very similar drug, and at a much better price, which your GP could prescribe for you. If your boyfriend also needs help, he needs to be persuaded to see someone, and not to take your meds !