Question
Posted by: Bongi | 2010/03/05

Going for CBT

So I am finally going for CBT therapy. My first appointment is on 17 March. I am normally very negative about therapy - thinking they won''t tell me anything I don''t already know. But I realised that I was going deeper and deeper into a dark hole and I called a CBT therapist. He assures me that it will help me cope with stress and that it is very practical and it is not long (6 - 8 weeks). My medical aid does not pay though, but I think it will be worth it to live a positive life in the end.

I heard about CBT on this site. So I will give it a try and report back here so that others who are wondering about it can hear from someone who has done it.

Medical aids which don't pay for CBT are fools, as the evidence for it's value, and the costs of alternative treatments are so much higher. Yes, it usually is significantly more brief that traditional wishy-washy methods. And it works with you being an active participant, in learning skills and doing homework. I look forward to hearing your views of this as it progresses, and I'm sure you'll give it a good chance to help.
If it fails, maybe you can offer an opposuite to CBT, teaching people how to remain unalterably and implacably negative ?

1