Question
Posted by: Sam | 2010/05/24

Going cold turkey while pregnant

I am pregnant, 6 months along, and ashamed to say that I am still smoking. I did originally want to quit right at the beginning, but everyone, including my spouse convinced me not to, which when talking to an addict is not hard. Their opinion is that my body will go into shock and I will loose the baby. So I have cut done to between 5 and 10 a day (I only smoke at home), weekends might be a little more. I can''t just cut down to a few a day, it is all or I am going to not keep to just 2 or three a day. Can I go cold Turkey? Will the with drawl period be dangerous for the pregnancy? I am actually having a very healthy pregnancy and the baby is doing well, so I don''t want to do anything to hurt this pregnancy. If it means weening off the smoking I will, but if you are a 100% sure I can go cold turkey safely, I gladly will do so. I really do want to stop and am in the perfect frame of mind to get started today.

Please can you advise me.

Kindest Regards
Cath

Hi Cath
Don't stop cold turkey while smoking 10 per day but try to go down to 5 or less per day before you stop. It is difficult to stop while your nicotine levels are high. Then give yourself a week - during that week, avoid stimulants like caffeiene (coke, tea and coffee) and chocolate, drink at least 8 glasses of water per day en eat at least 3 fruits (or drink fruitjuices)per day. You can drink rooibos tea and any caffeine free drinks.Chew chewingum to keep your mouth busy. You can expect to get flu-like symptoms or even an upset tummy and you may feel very grumpy. It takes a week to 10 days to get nicotine out of your system, so try to hang in there one day at a time.
See http://www.babycenter.com/0_quitting-smoking-during-pregnancy-five-keys-to-success_1405724.bc?showAll=true
I'll count the days off with you - so let me know on a daily basis how it is going!
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/05/24

Hi Cath
dr Bets