Question
Posted by: Simo | 2008/10/18

Going away

Hi, my husband and I are wanting to plan a trip to Canada. We were thinking of leaving our 2 sons, who will then be 4 &  nearly 2 with my parents. We will be gone for 2 weeks, will that be to long a period for us to leave them, would hate them to think we will never come back. Do you think they are to young to be left for that period of time without any side effects. Your advice please!! Thanks

Its never possible to entirely predict reactions. But if its 2 weeks, they shouldn't have significant problems, if they have a good relationship with your parents and are happy with them, and if you repeatedly and relaxedly explain to them that you're going away ( Canada won't mean any more to them than the nearest other town ) and emphasize that you will be coming back, they should be OK. Maybe also, with your parents, draw up a chart of the days between your going away and coming back, so the boys can cross off each day, and see how your return is getting nearer.

1
Posted by: Love-letter | 2008/10/18

How about writing them a short ' love-letter' , one for every night that you are away, that they are able to open and have granny and granddpa read to them every night before bedtime? Add the number of sleeps until mom and dad come back home again. Perhaps add a piece of candy to each letter too.

Reply to Love-letter