Question
Posted by: Francois du Toit | 2013/01/11

glycemic carbohydrates

I was wondering if the glycemic carbohydrates count on my food counts as part of my sugar intake. I know that the healthy amount of sugar I should eat is about 60g, with an additional 30g coming from fruits, so it''s hard to calculate what my intake is when ready a box.

Example:
On my cereal it says
glycemic carbohydrates 34g of which is sugar 7.5g. So is the total in take on that meal 34g or 7.5g?

Thanks for the help!

Dear Francois
The category of 'Glycemic Carbohydrates' includes all starches (grains, starchy vegetables, foods made with flour, etc) and all sugars (table sugar or sucrose, fructose, other types of sugars added tom or found in certain foods like fruits, etc). The SA Labelling Regulations specify that a product label must indicate the total carbohydrate content of a food (the 34 g on your cereal box) and also list how much of that carbohydrate is in the form of sugars (the 7.5 g on your cereal box). It is important to remember that ALL carbohydrates (which includes ALL sugars), are broken down to glucose during digestion and are absorbed into the bloodstream for transport to body cells to serve as a source of energy. You don't mention if the 34 g of carbs and 7.5 g of sugars on the label of the cereal box are per 100 gram or per serving. I suspect that these are the values per 100 g, which is an amount you may not usually eat? That would mean that you obtain less sugar via your cereal than the 7.5 g.
Hope this helps

1
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/01/30

I am bottling a drink. As you said to the previous enquirer, the SA Labelling Regulations specify that a product label must indicate the total carbohydrate content of a food . Now I want to calculate the glycemic carbohydrate that goes into the drink. I use 34g of sugar. How much glycemic carbohydrate will that be?