Posted by: Liané  van Zyl | 2011-05-24

hi! i hope i''m asking the right person.... i am a very active 31 old female : mondays i have ballet, tuesdays i have running club, wednesdays fun''k off & , on top of that, i still go to gym 4 times a week. but instead of getting smaller, my bum is getting bigger!!! in fact i''m not losing any weight or centimetres...

it''s really REALLY irritating because i have skinny arms &  my thunder thighs have almost completely disappeared, but my jeans don''t fit me anymore.

i do 20 - 30 minutes of cardio &  then some weight training. i have always been prone to be more muscular which i don''t mind, but i would like to have a leaner look. i obviously tend to focus quite a bit of my workouts on my legs to strengthen them.

i do squats &  lunges to no avail. the past 3 weeks i didn''t eat a single sweet, didn''t drink any alcohol &  didn''t eat any meat (i just drank one protein shake as a meal replacement in the morning) and i still only managed to lose 1kg. i am 1.79m tall &  weigh 75kg. i would like to weigh 68kg.

one word : HELP!

Hi Liane

I think the key is diet. And I know that you have cut out the obvious things, but this is a really tough problem to solve - it's mostly genetic, and everyone struggles with specific areas. And unless things are perfect, then it's really difficult to change. Now, your exercise routine is pretty comprehensive, but it might be that there's just too much high load stuff like ballet and the gym work, and that may be affecting your ability to lose weight in those specific areas because you're bulking up rather than losing or toning. For example, the squats and lunges will help develop muscle, which might well be offsetting any fat loss in the areas you're most worried about!

Because it's so complex, I would honestly consider seeing a dietician and making sure you're eating well all the time - it's not simply about cutting out on certain things. Also, if you're at the gym, you might want to consider seeing someone to help refine that programme. I think you're on the right track, and there are just small adjustments that you need to consider and then you'll start to achieve. But my advice is to focus on fitness - get fit and allow the other stuff to happen as a consequence of fitness.