Question
Posted by: James | 2012-03-08

Gluten Sensitivity

We have a 2year old son. At 4 months he was diagnosed as asthmatic and we had various health problems since then. The following is what happened every time - Runny nose, cough, resperatory infection, pneumonia and we will end up in hospital. He is also allergic to milk.

A few weeks back, we were refered to a new peadiatrician. After a few questions he said we should put him on a Gluten Free Diet. After 4 weeks we had a healthy boy and he can even take Easy Gest Milk. His Asthma is something of the past.

I read on a website that if someone has gluten sensitivity, a daily intake of probiotics can decrease the effect Gluten has when he does eat Gluten? He is school and sometimes it does happen, will this help?

Dear James
I have also read that probiotics (beneficial microorganisms) will decrease the inflammatory process that occurs in the digestive tract when an individual with gluten sensitivity inadvertently ingests some gluten. However, at this stage I have not seen any scientific papers on the subject. The use of probiotics should help any patient with gluten sensitivity to maintain the integrity of the gut, counteract 'leaky bowel' and heal inflammation. Make sure that you give your son a good quality probiotic, such as Kiddiforte which can be bought at health shops.
I trust that you have consulted a registered dietitian about your son's diet seeing that he is allergic to gluten and milk? If not, please do arrange to see a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because as your son grown he will require more nutrients and could easily develop deficiencies (e.g. calcium, B vitamins, etc) if his diet is not balanced despite the avoidance of gluten and milk products.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-03-09

Dear James