Question
Posted by: Jacobi | 2011/12/12

Gluten sensitive baby

My baby is 10 months old, how can I tell if he''s gluten sensitive? Do I only change his diet or is there any other tests we can do?

Dear Jacobi
If you suspect that your 10-month-old son is allergic to wheat or suffers from gluten intolerance, then it is advisable to have him examined by a Paediatrician. If the Paediatrician agrees that his symptoms indicate a wheat or gluten allergy then the dr will arrange the necessary tests for your son. In the modern world there are so many foods that contain wheat, barley, rye and oats (which need to be avoided if he has a gluten intolerance or coeliac disease), that it is not easy to determine exactly which foods and which component of the foods is causing his symptoms. If he should be diagnosed with a food allergy then I would strongly urge you to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with a balanced diet for your son and to guide you through the initial stages of getting used to avoiding all foods that contain the above mentioned cereals. The problem in young children is that they still require a balanced diet that supports normal growth and development, even when all the offending foods are no longer included in the diet.

1

Dear Jacobi