Question
Posted by: Desi | 2009/11/13

Gluten intolerance and low BP

Is it true that Coeliac disease can be the reason for very low Blood pressure? I suffer of both and they cannot find a reason for the low BP. It drops so low as 60/40. I feel like death and often have to be hopitalized when it' s as low as this. I stick to my gluten free diet very strictly and eat at least 8 small meals a day. I drink enough fluids and avoid caffeine containing drinks.
Is there a connection between gluten intolerance and low BP and what is this connection?
Thanks for all your advice.

Dear Desi
I am sorry to hear that you suffer from gluten intolerance and that your bp drops to such low levels that it makes life unbearable. There are medications that you can use to increase your bp, such as Effortil. Please discuss their use with your dr. Increasing your intake of sodium or salt (table salt, salty foods)moderately should also improve your bp. I have not come across references that gluten intolerance causes low bp, unless your low-gluten diet is also very low in sodium? You can also ask your dr to test your blood levels of the so-called electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium) just to make sure that you are not deficient in one of these nutrients.
I do hope that you will be able to control both the Coeliac disease and the hypotension to improve your quality of life.

1

Dear Desi