Question
Posted by: Ron | 2010-01-11

Gluten intolerance

Hi DietDoc

My girlfriend gets bloated and experiences abdominal pain after eating pasta, potatoes, bread...

DO you think this could be due to gluten intolerance? I read that potatoes are gluten free, so I am not sure what the problem could be there.

what do you think?

thakns
Ron

Dear Ron
Potatoes are indeed gluten free, so your girlfriend may not have a gluten allergy or sensitivity, but she could suffer from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), an enzyme deficiency and a wide variety of other conditions that can cause bloating and abdominal pain. The only way to determine what is causing these symptoms is for her to have a medical examination and to ask the dr to pinpoint what is causing her distress. Once we have a diagnosis, we can make changes to her diet if this should prove necessary.
So encourage her to have a medical checkup ASAP

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-01-11

Dear Ron