Posted by: Sandy | 2012-11-28

Gluten free diet

I have been on gluten free diet for 3 months and feeling good but not losing weight. Am having 1-3 carbs per day with no carbs at night. need to lose 3kg. I am 54. I am worried about my fibre intake - how can I increase it? Thank you

Dear Sandy
Wheat is our best source of insoluble dietary fibre which promotes regularity. Thus if you are on a gluten-free diet, then you probably do not ingest much insoluble dietary fibre. You may need to increase your intake of fruit and vegetables, including cooked dried fruit which boosts fibre intake. Gluten-free foods such as brown rice, crushed sorghum and quinoa, legumes (dry cooked beans, peas, lentils and soya) can also all help to increase your fibre intake without exposing you to gluten. If regularity is a problem, then having 1 tablespoon of olive or canola oil may also help to lubricate the digestive tract.