Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2011/08/26

gluten free diet

I found out recently that I''m gluten intolerant...came as a big shock as I''m the only one in my family. I used to love baking, muffins, breads, cakes etc...and now find myself very limited.

Not only because I can''t find define recipes, but also because the gluten free flours are so expensive.

I was wondering if there is a good cook book or book on baking that you could recommend to me. I''ve been to a couple of stores, but haven''t found anything profound yet...and I don''t really want to spend money on something that I won''t use.

Thanks :)

Dear Mandy
I am indeed sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with gluten intolerance, because this is one of the most difficult dietary changes to implement. I am at present no aware of a recipe book that is available in SA, but if you Google "gluten free recipes" on the Internet, you will find a reasonable variety of such recipes. I have also seen gluten free bread on sale at supermarkets like Woolies. Gluten free flour is expensive because it is sold in such small quantities compared to standard flour, but the recipes on the Internet will also help you to use alternatives such as maize meal, maizena, rice and sorghum flour, for baking. Just remember that it is ironically the gluten in cake and bread flour that makes cakes and breads light and fluffy, so baked goods made from gluten free flour or other flours will have a different texture and appearance.
I hope you will be able to resume your baking.

2
Posted by: Sky | 2011/09/01

Dear DietDoc

i too am gluten intolerant and my frustration is that i cannot get a diet plan.

maybe you can help me with this please!

Reply to Sky

Dear Mandy