Posted by: Kay | 2009-08-30

Gluten free and Casein free diet

I get migranes. Have been advised by Doctor to try a gluten and casein free diet. How do I start? What foods can I eat?

Dear Kay
Although certain foods like biltong, mature cheeses and drinks like red wine have been linked to migraines because of their so-called tyramine content, I have never heard of gluten and casein triggering migraines??? If the dr actually tested you for gluten and casein allergies and the tests were positive, then you will have to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because the dietitian will have to guide your through the initial phases of this diet which excludes everything except fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, eggs and fats and oils. The dietitian will also have to advise you how to ensure that you still obtain the 1000 mg of calcium you require every day which will not be provided by this diet that excludes milk and dairy products. If you were not tested for gluten and casein allergy then I would recommend that you get a second opinion on the migraines from a neurologist.