Question
Posted by: Mae | 2013-01-22

Gluten-free &  cucumbers

Which products contain gluten? I know wheat does but i am very confused as some websites also indicate cucumber, cabage, beans, maize/corn, etc.
Does clouding agent also contain gluten?

Dear Mae
Gluten as I mentioned to another Reader during the past week: "According to Krause's Food & the Nutrition Care Process, Edition 13(2012), p 618: "Gluten refers to specific peptide fractions of proteins (prolamines) found in wheat (glutenin and gliadin), rye (secalin), and barley (hordein.) " Patients with severe gluten sensitivity should, therefore avoid all foods made with wheat, rye and barley. Patients with coeliac disease are also warned not to eat foods containing oats, spelt, kamut, or titricale. If in doubt, visit the Allergy Association Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about allergies. The Allergy Association Website lists the foods that you need to avoid if you have a specific allergy. If you are tested and do have coeliac disease then it is advisable to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will guide you through the intricacies of a gluten-free diet and ensure that you do not develop deficiencies if you have to avoid all the cereals listed above and all the foods/drinks that contain them. Cucumbers, cabbage, beans, maize or corn do not contain gluten. Clouding agents should also not contain any gluten unless they are made from one of the above mentioned cereals, which is not usual.
I hope this helps.

1
Posted by: Mae | 2013-01-23

Dear doc, thanks for your help. it helped a lot. unfortunately the allallergy website is no longer operational but i will get more info from the book.

Reply to Mae