Question
Posted by: stressedmom | 2011/11/25

Gluten Free!!

hi,
my son has a gluten and wheat allergy - he is 13, so to change habits is extremely difficult, and as you might know, when you are 13, you are HUNGRY all the time! He is a fussy eater, any suggestions as to what I can feed this hungry-gluten-intolerant boy!

Dear Stressed Mom
It is indeed never easy to follow a wheat and gluten-free diet, even in adults. When the patient is a child or teenager, who is still growing and has higher nutrient and energy needs then it becomes very tricky as so many foods in the modern world contains some form of wheat or gluten. A gluten allergy also usually includes allergy to rye, oats, barley, spelt, kamut, and titricale, in addition to wheat. In view of the complexity of a wheat and gluten-free diet I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will provide you with a balanced diet that avoids the foods your son is intolerant to, but also ensures that he does not develop deficiencies and can grow and develop normally. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & Intolerance' to read more about wheat/gluten allergy. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about these allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za .

1

Dear Stressed Mom