Question
Posted by: Val Stricke | 2010-01-15

gluten free

Hi, are you aware that barley malt which is in kellogs cornflakes and rice crispies contains gluten.

Dear Val
Yes I am. However some patient with wheat-intolerance can eat small quantities of barley malt, in the same way that some of the patients can tolerate oats and rye. In addition Kellogg’s declare that their corn flakes are gluten-free containing less than 1.5 ppm (parts per million). Other types of malt such a sorghum malt, can also be used by patients with wheat allergy or intolerance.

3
Posted by: Tessa | 2010-01-15

I was instructed to remove anything containing, WHEAT, OATS, RYE or BARLEY from my diet as I am gluten intolerant. There' s other sneaky ingredients I' m told also contain gluten such as " hydrogenated vegetable fat" , so its useful to consult a dietician who can help you check labels on foods for the sneaky ones.

Reply to Tessa
Posted by: Delene | 2010-01-15

My daughter is gluten intolerant and i know that barley and malt contain gluten, but according to her dietician, rice crispies is gluten free.

Reply to Delene
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-01-15

Dear Val