Question
Posted by: Sandy | 2009/11/12

Gluten, Dairy free products

I am looking for a list of gluten, and dairy free products available in S.A. stores. My grandson from the States is coming for a visit for 3mths, and I am at a loss as to what to give him for breakfast, lunch, and supper, as well as some snacks and treats.

Can you help?

Sandy

Dear Sandy
I am not aware of a specific list of SA food products that will indicate which products contain gluten and/or dairy products and which do not. You will have to check on the labels of foods that you purchase and basically stick to plain home-made food (meat, fish, eggs, fruit, vegetables, maize meal, sorghum meal, gluten-free bread (available in Woolworths and health shops), maize grits, rice, and oils such as olive oil. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & Intolerance' to read more about milk and gluten allergy. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za . The recipes should help you to make snacks for your grandson.

2
Posted by: Delene | 2009/11/12

Sandy,
You can call Woolworths and Pick' nPay and ask their food technicians for a gluten free list of foods they sell. They will email you a complete list of food which is safe to use in a gluten restricted diet. It' s very easy to shop at Woolies. Just check the label for " Allergens"  and if gluten is indicated as an allergen - don' t buy. Even their sweets indicate if it contains gluten or not.
Dischem stocks a wide range of gluten free snacks, cookies and mixes e.g. chocolate brownie mix, chocolate mouse, pancake mix, flap jacks and many othr treats. Look for the Orgran label - it' s gluten free. You will find a limited range of Orgran products at Shoprite as well.
Best of luck - it' s not easy to cater for gluten intolerant people. My daughter has been on a gluten free diet for 3 yrs and I still find it very time consuming to shop as i have to read each and every label.

Reply to Delene

Dear Sandy