Posted by: Sharon | 2013-01-17

Gluten and wheat free products

Where in Johannesburg can I buy gluten-free and wheat-free products (breads or flour)?
I have detected a trigger in reflux from wheat products although this morning I had cupasoup and ended up with reflux although to be fair I had a little bit of muesli and skim milk first. When I eat bread I feel the constriction starting in my throat... I am struggling with knowing what carbohydrates I can incorporate into my meals to ensure enough energy intake and a balanced diet.
Tonight I am trying steak with veg stirfy (done dry in spray n cook not in oil) and with couscous... so we''ll see how that goes. I battle with breakfast as I am normally really hungry and the quickest thing I can make is scrambled egg and toast. Will oatmeal be okay? Is it wheat/gluten free? I believe you have to add grapeseed or olive oil to the porrige to slow down the sugar intake cycle or something like that.

Dear Sharon
You should be able to purchase gluten-free and wheat-free products at health shops and most supermarkets - check out Woolworths for gluten-free bread and most large Spar shops have a whole section of special foods, flours, etc. Oats are not recommended for someone with wheat/gluten allergy and couscous is made from wheat. Try quinoa instead.