Posted by: Miri | 2009-03-31

Gluten and wheat free

Hi there Doc

1. If a substance has wheat does that automatically mean it has gluten too or can you get gluten free wheat for e.g.?
2. Is there any danger in exclu all wheat and gluten from the diet in an allergic child, tested. What vitamins/minerals would the child me missing from a wheat and gluten free diet? cannot get to a dietitian pls help with this 1. I have found the Orgran alternatives that are wheat and gluten free but i want to know the consequences of not havign these two subst in a diet.

Dear Miri
All wheat products will contain gluten. Gluten is also found in rye, oats, barley, spelt, kamut, and titricale. The problem is not excluding the gluten from a person's diet, but the fact that the foods which contain these cereals (wheat, rye, oats, etc) are rich in B vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre. The only cereals left to eat if a patient needs to exclude all gluten, are rice, maize and sorghum. If you ensure that your child still eats brown rice, unsifted maize meal and even tries sorghum, then she/he will probably not suffer from any vitamin or mineral deficiencies.