Posted by: Julie | 2009-10-04

gluten and dairy free diet

where can I source breads and other foods for the above diet.

Dear Julie
I hope that you have consulted a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) about your multiple food allergies because if is very tricky to avoid both gluten and dairy products in a modern world. If not, please do so for your own sake because you need the dietitian to help you to eat a balanced diet despite the fact that you will be cutting out your major source of calcium (the dairy products).
I have noticed that Woolworths and some branches of Spar stock gluten-free bread and gluten-free flour for baking. Also click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & Intolerance' to read more about wheat and gluten allergy. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: to find out more about this allergy. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: .