Question
Posted by: Sophia | 2010-02-09

Glucose testing for PCOS?

I have an appointment with a Diabetes specialist in only about 7 weeks to discuss my insulin resistance / Diabetes 2. I' m 34, have PCOS and have been advised to consider IVF procedure (in 4 to 5 months after a house and city move).
Is it worthwhile to monitor my blood glucose levels for the time being before the appointment with the specialist? The tester machine is relatively inexpensive and I' m familiar with the process having 3 family members with diabetes.

Thanks for your advice,
Sophia

Dear Sophia

As you may well be aware that insulin resistance and type-2 diabetes are two different conditions. Generally patients with insulin resistance have a normal glucose level. However the treatment for both these conditions are very similar. Namely a carbohydrate control diet, an exercise program, loosing weight and may or may not require Metformin. However it is a known fact that patients who have insulin resistance may develop type-2 diabetes at a later stage in their lives. And because of this reason it may be worthwhile testing your sugar levels regularly.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

2
Posted by: TK | 2010-02-16

I have one of those machines and I got a script from my doctor and Discovery medical aid paid in full for that. I also have type 2 diabetes and PCOS and I will suggest that you start looking at a low GI dieet until you can see the specialist, eat small portions but regular to regulate your blood sugar levels. Ask your doc for a script.

Reply to TK
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010-02-16

Dear Sophia

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert