Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2011/10/02

Glucophage during pregnancy

I’ ve been on Glucophage (2x 500mg tablets per day) for the past 2 years. I am 7 weeks pregnant (with the help of clomid) and would like to know if I should continue taking the Glucophage. And if I continue taking it during the first trimester should I keep the dosage the same or lower it to 1 tablet per day. I have had two miscarriages in the past, before I was diagnosed with PCOS (and insulin resistance) two years ago. My OB/GYN told me that I don’ t have to continue with the medication, but the doctor who diagnosed me 2 years ago said that the Glucophage would lower the risk of miscarriage in the first trimester.

There is no harm in continueing the Glucophage. Sugar control an insulin resistance tend to get worse in pregnancy. It woiuld be important to have your sugars checked as you may need more medication rather than less.

1