Question
Posted by: Lissa | 2009/10/27

Glucophage 7 falling pregnant

I' m on 500mg of glucophage per day. we are starting to try and conceive now. I just wanted to find out, what the effect of glucophage is on pregnancy and if i should stop taking it once I' m pregnant.

I dont have PCOS but i am insulin resistance. I see alot of advice when i researched is for people with PCOS, i dont have problems with irregular cycle etc.
I have read ppl says you must stop it and others that you shouldnt.
My gynae said i should stop taking it when i fall pregnant.
Its all very confusing!

any info would be helpful!

You could stop taking it and then have your sugar checked when you are pregnant to see whether you ed it or not.

5
Posted by: anon | 2009/11/10

i had 3 miscarriages before i could fall pregnant again - this happened after i was put on glucopage. The docotor advised that i produced too much insulin and it " poisoned the other preganancies and glucophage would help balance it. I stopped taking it at 32weeks...my son is now 4 years old healthy and bouncy. I am pregnanat again 18 weeks and have been put back on glucophage with this pregnancy. I am afraid if i go off it i will lose my baby but am not sure if i still need. I am not 100% sure what my levels are but will find out at my next visit.

Reply to anon

Posted by: Lissa | 2009/10/27

Hi thanks for the reply! its good to get other peoples experiences. My doc also said to use it and as soon as i' m pregnant i must stop. i think it sounds like the safest option! my levels have been consistant since the beginning of the year and are in the healthy range. so i' m hoping I wont take to long to fall pregnant!

Reply to Lissa
Posted by: vicky | 2009/10/27

I also tried to conceive two years ago and was also put on glucophage. According to the Firtility specialist I saw it was indicated that because of my high insulin levels it will be difficult to fall pregnant. It was used to balance out my levels. I was a bit overweight. He also said that if your levels was high you would battle to conceive. Immediately after I fell pregnant I stopped the use of it.

My angel is now two years old.

Good luck.

Reply to vicky