Question
Posted by: medication that was prescribed for weight loss | 2011/10/18

glucophage

hi
i was diagnosed with insulin resistance as a reason for me not losing weight - this is after is was told have a hysterectomy at 30 because PCOS was preventing from losing weight. my question is how does the glucophage allow you to lose weight and has it been proven to work? also are there any products in south africa that contain co-enzyme q10 in a tablet form?
thanks

Dear Glucophage
I am so sorry to hear that you had a hysterectomy at the age of 30 because of PCOS. PCOS is often associated with insulin resistance (IR). Patients with IR produce a lot of insulin (the hormone that transports glucose into body cells), but their body cells are resistant to the insulin and consequently they tend to have high blood glucose and high blood insulin levels. Both the latter conditions make the patient susceptible to weight gain and also hamper or slow down any attempts at weightloss. Many patients with IR then go on to develop type 2 diabetes. Glucophage is an oral antidiabetic medication that helps to normalise raised blood glucose and insulin levels. It is used for patients with IR, IR associated with PCOS, Type 2 diabetics and to treat obesity, overweight and metabolic syndrome. It is regarded as one of the most successful antidiabetic medications, has few side-effects and is listed as one of 2 oral antidiabetic agents by the WHO on their Model List of Essential Medications. If you use Glucophage together with a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet and daily exercise, it should produce satisfactory weightloss. It is essential for anyone with IR to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). I believe that you should be able to purchase Co-enzyme Q10 from health shops or pharmacies in SA.

1

Dear Glucophage