Question
Posted by: Daphne | 2011-02-25

Glucophage

I used glucophage before my pregnancy and stopped as my gynae did not want me to take it whilst pregnant. I have since moved from Pretoria to Ermelo due to financial reasons. Do I have to have a prescriptions for glucophage to get it again as I can feel I am getting sick again. I do not have the financial resources to visit a doctor just to get the script as that would indicate I will only be able to start using the script in 4 months time when I saved up enough money again. The tablets only cost R40-00 but to go to the docter is R300 minimum and then he/she would propably also want a bloodtest. No money for that.

Any ideas? Alternative meds I can just take more of that does not need a script? What about antagolin?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi D

Glucophage will require a prescription, but your local government clinic should also be able to supply metformin (the active ingreient of glucophage). Antagolin does not contain the same ingredients and does not work in the same ay.