Question

glucophage

Please help - i had been to my gynae last month for a check up - i am trying to have a baby - i am 32 years old - she put me on glucophage - apparently this is for diabetics - i weigh 75 kgs is this also for losing weight? I am not diabetic - i am also on folic acid forte and staminogro

Glucophage is used if you have PCOS even if you are not diabetic. It does often help with weight loss in this setting.

6

Posted by: anon | 2010/04/21

to momof3 - thank you so much - you are right - i phoned my gynae just now and she said that its to control your insulin levels sometimes when the insulin levels are abnormal then the fertility tabs dont work so thats why she had given this to me - thank you so much for your concerns and take care

Reply to anon
Posted by: Momof3 | 2010/04/21

Anon- being a mom of 3 , i was concerned about this so checked up on the Drugs dot com site on Glucophage and they say the following :-

Special information if you are pregnant or breastfeeding

If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, tell your doctor immediately. Glucophage should not be taken during pregnancy. Since studies suggest the importance of maintaining normal blood sugar (glucose) levels during pregnancy, your doctor may prescribe insulin injections instead.

It is not known whether Glucophage appears in human breast milk. Therefore, women should discuss with their doctors whether to discontinue the medication or to stop breastfeeding.

Your doctor will tailor your dosage to your individual needs.

Please speak to your DR asap.
Maybe they have more information that it does not cause problems .

Reply to Momof3
Posted by: Momof3 | 2010/04/21

Yes, you are correct ,it is for diabetics- but maybe it has other uses." side-effect" 

I am wondering if your sugar was not up to begin with so your Dr has prescribed Glucophage to bring your sugar level down or maybe glucophage has a "  side effect"  causing you to fall pregnant faster.

I am diabetic type 2 - dont take insulin as my body makes too much insulin, so i take glucophage.-to get rid of the insulin. Type 1 needs the insulin injections as there panceas does not make insulin anymore.

You should phone your gynae &  ask her/him to explain to you how it should work. All I know is it makes me put on weight. Which is totally the opposite of what I want it to do.

I am also wondering how the glucophage will effect the fetus when you fall pregnant &  if you will have side effects after taking the glucophage( effects on pancreas , etc) &  the rest of your body &  for how long you to need to take the glucopahge for. Is it just to fall pregnant &  then stop taking it? -

Those are the things you need to ask your gynae. Good Luck &  I hope you do fall pregnant soon.

Reply to Momof3
Posted by: anon | 2010/04/20

really! OH MY GOODNESS THATS GREAT NEWS! I GOOGLED IT BUT IT SAYS ITS FOR DIABETICS

Reply to anon
Posted by: helpful | 2010/04/20

My sister is 30years old and the doctor also put her on glucophage. She got pregnant within 2months!!!

Reply to helpful