Question
Posted by: Nica | 2009-12-10

Glucophage

Dear Diet doc,

I am insulin resistant &  have been given glucophage, 500mg once a day, which I have been drinking for approx. a week. I find myself ranging between hungry and starving the whole time. Is this normal? I am trying to stick to a low GI eating plan and will see a clinical dietitian in January.

Kind regards

Dear Nica
If you find that the dose of Glucophage that has been prescribed for you is making you hungry all the time, then it is essential to phone the prescribing dr and tell him/her about this because you may have to adjust your dose. It would be ideal if you could already see the dietitian now instead of waiting till January, but if this is unavoidable then make a point of eating a low-GI carbohydrate and some low-fat protein at every meal and to have a low-GI, low-fat snack like fat-free cottage cheese or yoghurt with 2-3 Provitas or an apple between meals. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’, to obtain more information about using a low-GI diet until you can see the dietitian.
But phone the dr ASAP to find out if you need to change your dose of Glucophage.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-12-10

Dear Nica