Posted by: Me... | 2009-01-06

Can you please explain to me why does someone take glucophage?
My doctor gave it to me, i know my doctor said i'm insulin resistant what is that??? Is it the same as diabetic Type 2?
What is diabetic type 2 to litte or to much sugar in my body?

Please explain cause all these doctor's term i just dont understand.

I drink the glucophage (500mg) 2 times a day and was told by my doctor to exercise and eat healthy. What should i eat??

Please please help.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Me
Glucophage is a medication that helps your body to take up sugar slower from the bowel, it also increases the sensitivity for insulin. Someone that is insulin resistant makes enough insulin, but the body has a resistance against it, so it does not do what it is supposed to do. This can lead to high blood sugar levels and weight gain. It is not diabetes, but can develop into diabetes eventually.
You have to exercise daily - at least 20 min of brisk walking or other aerobic exercise and eat a diabetic diet ( low sugar, low fat, and high fibre - look on health 24 website for diabetic diet guidelines)