Question
Posted by: greg | 2010-08-11

Glaucoma and lasik surgery

Dear Doc

About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with glaucoma and am receiving ongoing treatment which basically involves placing eye drops in each eye morning and night

I am considering going for lasik surgery to correct my eyesight (have been a contact lense wearer for many years now). I am just wondering whether you can advise whether this type of surgery is advisable for patients with glaucoma.

I realise that I need to see an optholmagist for the definitive answer but am hoping that I can get some indication from you

Thanks and Regards

Hallo Greg
Glaucoma patients can have refractive surgery but some surgery methods are safer and others need to be avoided - see this article:
http://www.lasikeyesurgerycorrection.com/glaucoma_lasik.html
I would just advise that you see an opthalmologist with experience in operating on patients with glaucoma and ask him specifically to explain the risks and complications to you, so that you can make an informed decision.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-08-11

Hallo Greg