Question
Posted by: apple | 2010/12/06

glass house

Thank you for the reply on the post of my daughter making up stories about the glass house and her dad. You said that the " glass-ness"  of the house intrigues you, can you perhaps explain? What does this signify? She tells really vivid stories regarding the glass house and in much detail (regarding the amount of rooms, pets, food, toys, cars, friends.....). Should I join her in these stories, or this her way of escaping from me and her reality of life without her dad? I feel as if she is unhappy with her life by making up these stories.

No need to join her in the stories, just listen. It sounds as though the other details of the house are fairly normaland probably well within her usual experience. A house made of glass is curiously specific and unusual - has she ever seen one ? I wonder what aspets of the glassness appeals to her - that it is transparent ( you can't hide things, people can see just whatever's happening, for instance ) or its fragility, or what.
THe issue is if she is happy WITH these stories, we probably don't need to worry. At this and other ages some children really enjoy constructing imaginary worlds and stories. Maybe she'll grow up to be a writer !

1