Question
Posted by: igshaan | 2008/08/04

Glands in armpits

Good day, Doc

I' ve started noticing lumps under my armpits and eventually it got so uncomfortable that I visited my GP. He suggested that it might be due to shaving, made an incision, drain it and gave me anitbiotics. In the meantime I change my blade regularly and even switch to a deodorant with a lower alluminium level.

However it re-appereared and now both my underarms is affected. My wife watched the Dr.Phil show last week, and they discussed a similar case like mine. The topic of discussion was the virus called MRSA, are you at all familiar with this virus. What should I do, the lumps is really uncomfortable and it sometimes hurts.

Igshaan

Hallo Igshaan
Staph aureus is a bacteria that lives on the skin. MRSA is methillen resistant staph aureus and we do get it in some patient but it will usually cause boils all over the body. You may have hidradenitis see
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/skin/disorders/895.html
This can be treated by local antibiotics or oral antibiotics treatment - discuss with your doctor. If boils develop it needs to be drained. If it is really bad, they can remove the affected glands totally.