Question
Posted by: linros | 2009/10/16

GL vs starchy veg

Dear Doc

I' ve been trying to monitor my food type selections &  portions in terms of GL to ensure that I feel fuller for longer after eating my meals.

I' m getting very confused with which vegetables I should choose to eat. If I look at some of your articles, veggies like pumpkin, squansh, beetroot, carrots, etc are classified as starchy veggies and should be eaten in lower quantities if I' m also having starch like brown rice or potatoes with my meal.

However, if I look at the GL value of those veggie examples, they are low in GL so the " feeling full factor"  is much higher.

Should I avoid the starchy vegetables when eating other starch or vice versa not eat other starch when eating these vegetables?

An example of one of my typical meals would be:
90 - 120g chicken breast fillet
1/2 cup brown basmati rice
180g combination of beetroot, carrots &  broccoli

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks!

Dear Linros
You are not going wrong at all. You can eat a starch by brown rice and vegetables like beetroot and carrots which have a low GI to ensure that you feel full for longer and don't experience sharp variations in insulin and blood glucose levels.
Enjoy

1

Dear Linros
Enjoy