Posted by: Ant | 2009-09-08

GL and GI

I am totally confused by this, can you help? What is the difference beteen GI an GL. I am following a low GI diet, but is not good according to the GL.

Dear Ant
The glycaemic index (GI) represents a measure of the effect a specific food will have on your blood glucose and insulin levels. Eating low-GI foods is a good idea, but because many people have taken this to mean that they can eat as much as they like of low-GI foods and not gain weight, the concept of the GL or glycaemic load was introduced. The GL represents the GI x the carbohydrate content of a meal. So if you are overeating on low-GI carbs (this means the GL of your meals would be high), then this indicates that you may still gain weight and that you should reduce your portion sizes. Even if you eat low-GI foods you still need to reduce your total energy intake per day to lose weight effectively, which entails cutting down on fat intake and controlling the size of your carbohydrate portions.
If you click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index', and read the articles on the GI and GL this should help you sort out what the 2 concepts mean.