Question
Posted by: Deon Van Niekerk | 2013/02/22

Q.

Girlfriend Tatoo

My girlfriend of drie months has a tatoo declaring everlasting love to her former boyfriend. It is where i always see when we get intimate and it is killing me. We are struggling to raise funds for it to be removed.
I tried ti ignore it but the more i love her, the more it bothers me.

Am i being jealous or unreasonable ?

Expert's Reply

A.

WHEN will people realise that tattooes are for life ? ( OK there are complex and painful procedures to try to remove them that usually leaves ugly scars ). People are so keen to look "cool" right now that they don't think of whether the tattoo will ook great when distorted by your saggy and wrinkled skin as you grow older, with the metal piercing clanking as you walk on your walking frame.
Its entirely reasonable that you are upset by her ugly tattoo. She should have thought of that when she chose to get the tattoo. And bear in mind that it is a clear proof that her "undying love" actually does die

6
user comments

C.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/02/26

had the similar issue wth my partner he wants to tattoo my name on his neck but i disagree ppl dont think of "what ifs"the think about now and thats it. get you partner to go to a specialist they can create something to hide the old tattoo bontle

Posted by: 40''ish | 2013/02/22

Deon van Niekerk van Margate? Leila se broer?

Reply to 40''ish

Perhaps suggest that she could get it covered up with something else? It will most likely be much cheaper than having the existing tattoo removed. Go see a tattoo artist for suggestions and pricing.

I have to wonder if you atleast knew this girl well before you started dating and how..intimate are you now already..
Getting someone''s name tattooed on you is something people do hastily, without considering the future. I would be careful about spending too much on helping her with the removal or cover-up, sounds like she likes making choices rather quickly..not a good quality, as she can jump right onto the next guy when she feels like it.

Posted by: Just Me | 2013/02/22

Oh, thats a difficult one and you are not being unreasonable. your story reminds me of a someone who was pursuing me for a relationship and had similar issue, the ex-name and next to it a naked body of a woman on his hand (which i assumed was the ex). that put me off completely. so i can only imagine your frustrations, what will be the cost of getting it modified into something lighter to look at, though i can''t say with the knowledge you already have it will be easy to forget what was there before modification.

Reply to Just Me
Posted by: Kelly | 2013/02/22

Your gf is craze! Shame the only way to go is have it removed ASAP!!! Get her ex to fund it or get her to start saving to get it removed. Does she want it removed? Just asking...and I''m guessing its his name... Why do people do stupid things like that!

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: Pixie | 2013/02/22

Hi Deon

I don''t blame you - its a natural response. Yes it is obviously over between them but doesnt help to have a constant reminder, especially during intimate moments. I don''t think you are being unreasonable at all.

That is why you NEVER tattoo your partner''s name on your body! Can she not get it changed to something neutral?

Reply to Pixie

Want to comment?