Posted by: Gert | 2012-09-30

Ginseng &  Hypertension

I am a 38 year old male with mild hypertension. Ave 151/86.
Some multivitamins contain Panax Ginseng. Is it safe to use or not? Some internet articles claim it''s safe to use Ginseng with Hypertension and other not.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Gert

Thanks for your question. A blood pressure of 151/86 at the age of 38 is not “mild” hypertension. We would regard it as moderate hypertension, especially as your blood pressure is likely to increase further with age. Are you on proper blood pressure lowering treatment?

To my knowledge there is no reason why you should not use ginseng if you have high blood pressure, but my question is: why use an agent with no proven benefit in the treatment of hypertension?

Please see your doctor for advice on how to manage and treat your high blood pressure in the best possible way, so that your heart and circulation give you good service for at least 40 more years!.

Best wishes, JT