Question
Posted by: anon | 2012/08/14

ginger

hi diet doc,

i have been taking a quarter of a teaspoon of robertsons ground ginger, in some pineapple juice, along with one capsule of procydin.
i am doing this in the hope that i can boost my immune system and also to toughen my gums. procydin does have vitamin c in it.
i am unsure if ginger can be taken for long.

thank u

Dear Ginger
Ginger has been used as a spice in foods for centuries, but I would not advise taking 1 teaspoon or 5 gram per day for long periods as this could be harmful. It could cause irritation to the stomach and mouth, as well as diarrhoea. Ginger should not be taken by patients with gallstones, heart problems or diabetes, or those with a blood disorder. Ginger can also interfere with the action of medications (e.g. medicines used to thin the blood, treat diabetes and high blood pressure). In general, ginger intake should not exceed 2 g per day.
Moderation is the key, so please don't overdo your intake of ginger.

1

Dear Ginger