Question
Posted by: Shelley | 2011/01/25

Giardia?

I have been looking after my sister in laws baby since last week Monday. The baby is colicy so it was quite stressful and I started to feel ill. On Friday I felt nausea and anxiety ( I do have anxiety disorder), then I had cramps and at first had normal coloured (brownish) watery stool.

On Saturday I was fine, no bowel movement at all, no nausea, nothing apart from a little lethargy. On Sunday afternoon I had cramps followed by an urgent yellow watery stool with mucus in it which I still have now (Tuesday). I am also very gassy, and occasionally get a heartburn feeling but not nausea.

I have IBS and there is a stomach bug going around. My husband says he has also had loose stools but they are not yellow or mucusy.

When I went to my doctor yesterday he felt my stomach and said that he could feel that my intestine was inflamed and suggested that I had contacted the stomach bug going around and it has flared up my IBS and he thinks thats what is causing the problem

I heard that loose yellow stool can be a sign of Giardia which you can get from changing nappies - we did have a day where there was no water and I only had hand sanitizer to wash my hands with. Could I have Giardia?

A year ago I had the same sort of symptoms and I had a stool sample taken and it was negative for Giardia and turned out to be IBS and it cleared up after a few weeks. I dont want to have to go to the expense of doing another test for Giardia if it isnt really necessary.

I may also be pregnant as my period is late so I need to know my treatment options.

Hallo Shelley
Gardia is a parasite that you would rather get from unwashed lettuce than from a healthy baby. Most diarrhoeas clear up with Probiotics and fluids within 3-4 days, so if it persists, and you have fever or bloody stools, you need to send a stool sample to the lab. You can use Kaopectin for the runny tummy - it is not absorbed in the body.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/01/25

Hallo Shelley
dr Bets