Question
Posted by: Denise | 2010/07/08

GI of maize porridge

Dear DietDoc

I read that maize porridge that has been cooled has a lower GI than the hot cooked porridge. What is the principle behind this? And does the porridge retain its low GI quality if it is reheated?

Dear Denise
As I mentioned to another Reader this week, The GI of starchy foods is influenced by a variety of factors such as the amount of dietary fibre the food contains, ripeness in the case of certain fruits (e.g. a green banana has a lower GI than a ripe banana) and how the food was processed. Cooking, cooling and reheating starchy foods like potatoes and porridges make the starch more difficult to digest and absorb, thus slowing down the increase in blood sugar from those foods considerably and also slowing and lowering the insulin peak you will experience. Thus cooked, cooled and reheated potatoes and porridge have a lower GI than potatoes or porridge that are just cooked and eaten hot which are easy to absorb and make your blood sugar and insulin shoot up. So cooked and cooked maize meal porridge has a low-GI, but if you heat it up, you may make it more easily absorbable again and increase its GI.

1

Dear Denise