Question
Posted by: Jade | 2008/08/26

GI Load &  Points

Please could you explain what the GI Load points are and how many points you should have per day if you are trying to loose weight- I have tried finding the article you wrote but no joy as yet.
Much appreciated

Dear Jade
I am sorry that the article I wrote on the Glycaemic Load (GL) is not available yet. I will once again ask the people who load the articles on the site to do so. The Glycaemic Load (GL) of a food or a meal is defined as “the mathematical product of the GI of a food/meal and its carbohydrate content” (Venter, 2005). The GL is usually expressed as a percentage. Foods with a GL below 10 are regarded as “low” and those with a GL above 20 as “high”.
So basically the GL = the GI of a food x the carbohydrate content in grams of a portion. For example: Standard uncooked oats have a GI of 87 (high) and a 30g portion contains 18.5 g of carbohydrate, so the GL can be calculated as follows:

87 x 18.5/100 = 16.1 GL (high)

The calculation of the GL is rather a complicated process and at present it is not yet widely applicable to the public. We will have to wait for manufacturers to have the GI and carb contents of their food products to be analysed and then to calculate the GL of a standard serving and provide this info on the food labels. There are at present not many foods that have such labels.
Hope this helps

1
Posted by: Zexeon | 2008/08/26

Foods with a low GI is under 55, between 56-69 intermediate and above 70 is highGI. Foods with a low GI is a better choice as it don' t spike your bloodsugar readings.

Reply to Zexeon