Posted by: Stacey | 2012-05-31

Where can one check the GI of foods, esp fruit . If there is no where to check please tell me the GI of a guava and a sharon fruit. Can one group them ie: Citrus has GI of etc

Dear Stacey
If you need a handbook on the GI values of foods, please visit 'The Glycemic Index Foundation of SA' at: to order the 'SA Glycemic Index & Load Guide' by Gabi Steenkamp & Liesbet Delport. However, I checked my copy of this Guide and it does not list guava per se, only Guava Juice by Ceres, which has an intermediate GI of 60. I must admit that I have not come across a sharon fruit (?) and can't find this fruit in the Guide either. You can basically accept that deciduous fruits such as apples, plums, pears, grapes, berries and citrus are low GI and tropical fruits such as pawpaw, banana, mangoes, etc, have an intermediate to high GI.
Contact the GI Foundation and put this question to them for additional information.